The Road Haulage Association fully supports Highways England’s enforcement action to target non-compliant drivers of all classes of vehicle.
Commenting, RHA chief executive Richard Burnett said: “All drivers must drive safely and pay due care and attention to all road users and must comply with the Highway Code.
“We constantly push the message that drivers should not use hand held mobile phones or any other devices – electronic of otherwise – while driving. Any distraction puts the driver of the vehicle and other road users; including pedestrians at risk.”
UK-based HGV drivers face severe consequences for failing to comply with the Highway Code, including loss of their vocational driving licences by the Traffic Commissioners, when appearing at disciplinary hearings following police enforcement action.
The National Police Chief’s Council have provided further information which shows that whilst 45% of vehicles were heavy goods vehicle; cars, coaches and vans accounted for the remaining 55%.