Meat Free Monday – Kale and Delicata Squash Salad with Citrus-Maple Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1 medium delicata squash, seeded, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (use Grade B if you have it)
- Zest from 1 orange
- A pinch or two of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 bunches kale leaves (about 1 pound), stems removed, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup wheat berries, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup pepitas
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Toss the delicata squash with a tablespoon of olive oil and transfer it to a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake for about 20 minutes, or until tender and just beginning to brown.
While the squash is cooking, whisk together the remaining olive oil, orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, orange zest, and cayenne pepper (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the kale leaves in a large bowl and massage them until they’re wilted and the bitterness is gone. Transfer the kale leaves to a large serving platter. Top with the squash, pomegranate seeds, wheat berries, and pepitas. Serve with the vinaigrette.
Read all about the recipe and see more pictures via Kale and Delicata Squash Salad with Citrus-Maple Vinaigrette Recipe.