- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sliced cremini or white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- A pinch or two of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic; cook about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook until their juices are released and then cooked off, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the wine and raise the heat to high. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and pepper flakes (if using), reduce heat to low, and simmer for an hour, or until the sauce has thickened. If needed, add a teaspoon or two of sugar to cut the acidity and season with salt and pepper to taste.